Goswin de Stassartstraat 153
Empress Maria Theresa of Austria had the Belgian army barracks built in 1756. In 1936 the barracks were named after the commander of the seventh line regiment during the First World War: Lieutenant General Emile de Dossin de Saint Georges, who was from Liège. He was honoured as a war hero because of the decisive role he had played in the Battle of the Yser. A sinister new use was found for the building during the Second World War. The Nazis used it as a Sammellager, a strategic assembly camp from where Jews and Gypsies were deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau and several smaller camps. On May 30th 1948 a plaque was affixed to the façade of the barracks to commemorate those horrors and every year a ceremony is organised in memory of the victims. In 2012 a museum of the same name opened alongside the former Kazerne Dossin. The new building was designed by the Belgian architect bOb Van Reeth. During the Biennial of the Moving Image monsters and martyrs from the black pages of history wander here.